Monday 28 May 2012

Victorian Border Punch


Good morning!We've been having fantastic weather here in Northern Ireland for most of the last week - real exam weather!!
On Saturday I learnt a lesson I really should have learnt years ago....never wear a necklace while sunbathing!!
We went to the beach at Portrush on the North coast with about 80 others (lots of kids) on a Sunday School trip.I never usually lie in the sun , in fact I never usually sit still for very long, but, as we say in these parts, the "craic" was good and I just lay down and enjoyed the chat while the kids played on the sand. A few hours later I got up with burnt neck and shoulders and a lovely white "necklace"!! And, oh yes....I did plaster on the suncream.

I was having a little play with the new Victorian Border punch  by Tonic Studios a couple of weeks ago and came up with some different things to do with it. This is the first one and I've made a card and little matching bag to show it off. The image is "Two Roses" - one of my digi images from A Passion for Stamps
I've chosen bold black stripes with contrasting Antique pink. The little flowers on the strip were made using Tonic Studios Petal Pairs and Petal Pairs Petites


Here's how I made the little strip.
(THIS WORKS WITH SOME OF THE OTHER PUNCHES IN THE RANGE TOO.THE STRIP WIDTH NEEDS TO BE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT - I'LL BE SHOWING SOME MORE IN A DAY OR TWO)


1. Cut a strip of black card 3cm wide and as long as you need for your card.



2. Punch along one side with the Tonic Studios Victorian Border punch



3. Turn the strip over and line up as shown above. I've made a little mark directly above the dashed line on the punch so you can see it above the card.



4. Now line the punch up as normal and carry on punching along the card to the end.



5. The finished strip.



Challenges
Alphabet Challenge...H = hand made flowers

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous card Ruth your so clever with those punches and the image is delightful. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Ruth, thank you for the tutorial. I have a couple of tonic punches so might have to give it a go.......
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit,I envy you for those punches!Your cards are always adorned with beautiful paper laces and the result is fabulous!
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. The zig-zag lace effect is genuis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow another great tutorial. i need this punch! i have got a couple now and they are soooo easy to use and cut thicker card than most punches. im talking myself into buying more arent i? lol

    love your blog ruth.

    suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ruth, I do so love this one, the colours are great and with the striped DP and border it has a real Parisian Chic feel to it.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo how very elegant ... love your card and love the border lovely and you make it look so easy ... thank you for sharing it with us ... ooo and how very clever of you to have thought of a new way of wearing a necklace without actually wearing one lol ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ruth these are so beautiful and elegant looking. I love how youve used the border punch. Isn't the weather amazing? Im in heaven. Though I see a lot of people are running about with a "Northern Ireland Tan" as I call it. Because as you know, sun and heat here is very rare, when it does come out people go into panic mode to get some sun. They either don't put any or a high enough factor on or sit out too long, hence the "Northern Ireland Tan"......loads of people running about looking lobster pink, lol!! I was wearing factor 30 and still managed to get my hands and feet burnt! Lee z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning card and bag, the colours are gorgeous. I love the way you have used the punch and thanks for a fab tutorial.
    All the best
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is is a great idea for the punch - I never would have thought of doing that with it. You certainly chose the right week for your Sunday School trip - hope your sunburn gets better soon!
    Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous punch, I could have done with that one on my latest Joanna Sheen Cameo card I made it would have gone perfect with it. Absolutely love your card Ruth, it's really Elegant & Classy. hugs Teresa xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew i shouldn't have looked!!! This is lovely Of course I'll have to get that punch NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card and gift bag are amazing x
    Thank you for taking the time to do the tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
  14. both so stunning ruth.i love the sylish colours and your work wonders with your punches :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card with a lovely image and great flowers. Thanks for joining in the Alphabet challenge this week.

    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous card! I love the colors and your beautiful border!! Thanks for joining us at Alphabet Challenge Blog!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fabulous card Ruth. I would never have thought to use the punch in that way - tfs with us. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful image, love rose images as they are so wonderful to colour. lovely card and gift bag, love your cards and want your punches! hope your skin is okay now hugs Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning, stunning, stunning! Such clever punching and I love the image xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous card, love the colours and the image is gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorials. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you. Ruth